The Sacrament of Baptism
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free,
there is neither male nor female;for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
~ Galatians 3: 28
- Ordinarily one parent will be a member of Liberty. All requests for baptism must be approved by the Session.
- The parents must attend a baptismal counseling meeting at the church with the Pastor. Baptismal counseling will be set up with a Pastor once the Baptism Request is approved.
- In the Presbyterian Church, the congregation as a whole assumes responsibility for nurturing the baptized person in the Christian life. In addition, sponsors may be chosen by the parents. Sponsors should be active members of a Christian church, and must be approved by Session.
- In presenting your child for baptism, you announce your own faith in Jesus Christ, and your desire to raise your child to follow Christ. Please read the following baptismal vows carefully:
- Do you reaffirm your own faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
- Do you promise, in reliance upon God’s grace, to set before your child and example of the new life in Christ?
- Do you promise to pray with and for you child, and to bring him/her up in the knowledge of the love of God?
For Adult Baptism: Individual counseling in the sacrament is offered to any teenagers or adults seeking baptism.